Delhiites can soon sell solar power to distribution companies
The Delhi government, in partnership with the ministry of new and renewable energy, is planning to implement a plan on this.
"We are in the final stage of implementing the rooftop solar energy policy and it will be launched in 3-4 months," a senior Delhi government official told IANS.
"This is a unique initiative of the government which will help promote clean and renewable energy in the city," he added.
Under the proposed policy, by signing a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with the company supplying power in their respective areas, the residents can get solar power plants installed on their rooftops.
The cost of setting up such a plant in an area of 200 square metres will be between
Rs.8 lakh and Rs.9 lakh.
According to the policy, house owners can either lease out their roofs to a developer, who will then set up the unit, or pay 30 percent of the cost of installation. The remaining 70 percent will be financed through banks.
The cost of generating each unit of power from the rooftop plant will be Rs 17.50 which the owner of the rooftop can sell to any of the power supplying companies.