10 smart ways to go green in everyday living
* If you can, stop buying the newspaper and read the epaper instead. And get your name off mailing lists that send you promotions you don't care about.
* Use a water filter to purify tap water instead of buying bottled water. Bottled water is expensive and generates large amounts of plastic container waste.
* When you leave your office ensure that your computer is turned off. And the power strip it's plugged into. No point in burning energy if you're not burning the midnight oil.
* Reduce your e-waste. Don't buy a new phone or laptop every few months. Keep them and other electronics for as long as possible.
* Pay your bills online and on time. This reduces unnecessary mail reminding you to pay your bills.
* Buy rechargeable batteries. They may be expensive, but they can be reused over and over.
* Wear clothes that don't need dry-cleaning. This saves money and reduces toxic chemical use.
* Use organic material to make your own house cleaning solutions. All you need are a few simple ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, lemon, and soap.
* If you have the space, plant a kitchen garden in your backyard. Get fresh organic veggies and also a workout while gardening.
* Service your car regularly for greater fuel efficiency. Better still, opt for a car-pool or use public transport to travel.
Source: India Syndicate